The mission of the Geauga County Historical Society is to ensure that the history of Geauga County is preserved for the education and appreciation of present and future generations.
The Geauga County Historical Society was founded in 1873 for the express purpose of "collecting and preserving interesting facts pertaining to the early settlement" of the county.
The Historical Society fell into inactivity for several years before being reorganized in 1938.
Three years later, with the help of Congresswoman Frances P. Bolton, the Society acquired the historic Eleazer Hickox home and 65 acres of land in Burton, Ohio, creating Geauga County's historical village and museum.
Since that 1938 reorganization, the Historical Society has endeavored to preserve both small and large artifacts dealing with the history of the Connecticut Western Reserve, of which Geauga County is a part.
Seventeen historically significant structures have been moved to or reconstructed on the Society's showpiece living history site, Century Village Museum, joining six others in their original locations. Another 60 acres of land has been acquired, and there have been 10 additional buildings designed and built to support the Historical Society's activities.