The Great Lakes Historical Society’s mission is to preserve and make known the history of the Great Lakes. We achieve that mission by
(1) operating the National Museum of the Great Lakes, the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship, and a maritime park in Toledo, Ohio.
(2) publishing our award winning quarterly journal Inland Seas.
(3) conducting nautical archaeology research through our Peachman Lake Erie Shipwreck Research Center.
(4) maintaining the Clarence S. Metcalf Great Lakes Maritime Research Library in Vermilion Ohio.
(5) offering educational programs to children and adults alike.