Over half a century ago, visionary citizens of Ohio's smallest county began campaigning to set aside land for future parks. To conserve and preserve the natural resources of Lake County, Lake Metroparks was formed in 1958 under the authority of Chapter 1545 of the Ohio Revised Code and is a separate political subdivision of the state of Ohio. The park district encompasses a total of 36 parks and 8,196 acres. Its boundaries are coterminous with the boundaries of Lake County, Ohio, located immediately east of Cuyahoga County. The southern shoreline of Lake Erie forms the northern boundary of the park district.
The Lake County Probate Court Judge appoints a three-member board of citizens to govern Lake Metroparks. Lake Metroparks Board of Park Commissioners Dennis E. Eckart, Ellen Foley Kessler, and Frank J. Polivka serve, without compensation, for three-year alternating terms. In March of each year, the Board of Park Commissioners appoints an Executive Director who serves as the Chief Executive Officer for the Park District. The current Executive Director is Paul Palagyi.