The Ohio Theatre was built in 1909 as the Loudonville Opera House. In addition to theatrical performances, it housed the Village Offices, Fire Department, Police Station, Mayor’s Court, and Public Library in the front. All of which remain today, save for the Public Library and Fire Department (both of which have relocated to newer facilities).
Until the completion of a new auditorium at the Loudonville High School in the 1930s, the Theatre also played host to graduation ceremonies, occasional church services, and even had its own orchestra – whose conductor was paid for by Charles Kettering and partially funded by Hugo Young. By 1910 the theatre was outfitted to play “moving pictures,” with a projection room needing built into the upper balcony. A Reproduco player-piano-organ was used to provide musical accompaniment, and is still in working condition on display at the Cleo Redd Fisher Museum nearby. By the late 1920s the theatre was outfitted for “talkies” and continued to remain a central part of life in Loudonville. Although original known as the City Hall & Opera House, in the 1950s while the theatre was contracted out by the Village to private managers it was renamed The Ohio Theatre.
Today the theatre continues to undergo restorations to its beautiful interior, and is still used on a regular basis for movie showings and theatrical performances.
The theatre is run by the Village of Loudonville, and supported by the Loudonville Theatre & Arts Committee (a 501c3 not for profit organization).